Exercising through sports is the best way to maintain good health and physical condition. However, when stretching and warm ups are not done, sports injuries and accidents may take place.
Types of Sport Injuries
The common types of injuries are the following:
- Sprains and strains
- Swollen muscles
- Knee injuries
- Achilles tendon injuries
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Sports injury treatment may depend on the type and severity of the injury and it is best to see professional help when pain persists after several days. The following can be done right away in treating injuries:
- Discontinue the activity once pain is felt after an accident, doing the activity can aggravate injury on the affected area. The RICE approach (REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, ELEVATION) approach will always apply on any sports injury especially sprains or strains.
- Pain relievers
- Immobilise the affected area
- Rehabilitation (Physiotherapy)
Physiotherapists are experts in diagnosis, treatment and prevention of musculoskeletal and sport injuries. If you have a past medical history, and are concerned about taking up a sport or exercise program, have an assessment from a physiotherapist. This will help guide you and progress you with you exercise and/or sport, and help prevent injury. If you do become injured, RICE and have your condition assessed by the physiotherapist.
How to Prevent Sports Injuries
Accidents happen whether we like it or not but are prevented when proper preparation is done.
Reduce risk of sports injuries by doing the following helpful tips:
- Do stretching or warm up thoroughly before doing sports or any physical activities.
- Wear proper sports attire especially the footwear
- Use safety equipments such as mouth guards, elbow and knee pads and helmet.
- Drink plenty of fluids before, during and after sports activity.
- Cross train in order to ensure overall fitness and muscle stability.
- Always use proper technique in a specific activity.
- Avoid exercising during the hottest part of the day (between the hours of 11am and 3pm)
- Cool down after sport like doing stretching’s.
- Do not overwork your muscles. Training should include speed and impact work to prepare the muscles.